How to Pest-Proof Your KitchenFebruary 11, 2019
Nobody…and I mean N-O-B-O-D-Y…wants bugs in their food. (Unless, of course, you’re already into the new trend of eating bugs but that’s another story for another day!) Here are 5 simple things you can do to make sure pests stay out of your pantry, your kitchen and, most importantly, your food.
- When you’re done cooking, clean! Take time to wipe off counters and sweep the floor of any crumbs.
- When you shop for baking supplies, inspect the packaging for signs of tearing, ripping or damage. Clearly, those are not the items you want to bring home and into your pantry.
- Make airtight containers your besties when it comes to food storage. Yes, it might be a big expense upfront but stockpile all those coupons you get in your mailbox from Bed, Bath & Beyond then head over there and stock up on these containers. And, this part, should go without saying, but after you bring the containers home and transfer the food into them, make sure they are properly shut.
- If a product is expired, don’t use it.
- Check your produce on the daily for signs of decay or over-ripening.