Did you know that chipmunks are a part of the rodent family? As cute as these creatures can be—especially with their big cheeks—they can also be quite a nuisance if they make their way onto your property. Rodents such as chipmunks may seem harmless out in the woods, that is until they decide to make your home theirs, nesting under your patio, stairs, or retention walls. Before winter settles in here in St. Louis MO, it’s important to learn how to safeguard your home or business against rodents and wildlife looking to hunker down for the cold months ahead. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about preventing and getting rid of chipmunk problems for good!
Are Chipmunks Destructive?
Chipmunks are climbers but prefer to spend their time in underground burrow systems that are quite elaborate. They will create nesting chambers and storage rooms to house their young and the food they’ll need during the winter such as nuts and seeds. These small creatures may look pretty innocent, but the truth is they can cause quite a bit of damage to your home. Some of the main dangers of chipmunks are as follows.
- They cause structural damage to your home and surrounding structures.
- Chipmunks burrow under your foundation, under walls, and any other dirt surface that may reach 30 feet long 3 feet deep.
- They are known to consume bird seed, pet food, and precious flower bulbs.
- Like other rodents, they can spread salmonella and other diseases.
How to Prevent Chipmunks
Keeping chipmunks from getting on or in your property in the fall requires some of the same steps you’d take to prevent rats and mice. These creatures can squeeze in through tiny openings and, once inside, will cause quite a mess. To prevent the destruction they can cause, it’s important to take measures to prevent them in the first place. Four of the main tips you can do to prevent chipmunks are to:
- Store all pet food and bird seed in airtight containers.
- Do not feed your pet outside or leave pet food there.
- Seal garbage cans and empty the garbage on a regular basis.
- Do not store firewood too close to your home.
Chipmunk Control Services
If you think chipmunks have made their way into your home, it’s important to always contact a professional to remove them. Diy pest control methods are never a wise choice for getting rid of rodents, chipmunks included. Whether you want to prevent these rodents before the winter or need an inspection, contact the rodent control experts at Blue Chip Pest Services today!